Wednesday, April 22, 2009

All Clear

I have finished clearing away the scotch broom from the east section of the lot.  Next, I will be "weed whacking" whats left (if someone has a brush mower to help, that would be awesome), laying down cardboard as a weed blocker, and building the barriers to hold the soil.  The first beds will be along the fenceline to use fence as a prebuilt support for vertical vegetables such as squash, zuchinni, peas, beans, and tomatoes.   In front of those will be carrots, kale, and other shorter vegis.

A generous supporter brought a truckload of manure.  Thank You!
I have also received offers of coffee grounds for compost from the Blue Bottle, and Cafe Elite.  Thank You!
I have received a donation of grape vines!  Thank You!
I am also thinking that fruit and nut trees, or kiwis would be a very effecient way to get food growing in the long run.  Any type of edible perennial plant.  Those types of things would be able to be planted without the raised beds.
I have also started painting a sign with paint donated by Jerry's Color Center.  Thank You!
All I really need to get things growing is soil to mix with the manure.  I have put an ad on craigslist asking for someone to pick some up from someone with an ad for free soil in Lakewood.



No comments:

Post a Comment